We have all been there. Family or friends come over for dinner and suddenly the everyday meals need a little extra lift. This happened to me a few nights ago when I was making roast salmon. I remembered to buy the salmon but I completely forgot to think about the sides. Luckily we had some broccoli in our fridge. Serving plain steamed broccoli seemed a little dull so I jazzed it up with raw sugar snap peas, chopped parsley, lime juice and some roasted hazelnuts. It took 10 minutes to make, looked impressive on the table and was a big hit with everyone. I have made this side a few times now and I have found that adding lime juice is really important as it adds freshness and reduces the strong taste of broccoli. So even those of us who are not huge fans of broccoli can enjoy this side.
Jazzed up steamed broccoli
(This serves 4 people if used as a side dish)
8oz of broccoli florets
5oz of sugar snap peas
handful of parsley
20 roasted hazelnuts
(Total preparation time 10 minutes)
1) Steam steam the broccoli florets for 5 minutes or until you reach the desired tenderness. I like the broccoli to be soft but to retain some of its crunch. Let it cool down a little.
2) Wash the sugar snap peas and cut it at an angle so that you get small oblong pieces.
3) Mix the broccoli and sugar snap peas in a bowl.
4) Cut the parsley into small pieces and mix it in with broccoli and sugar snap peas.
5) Add juice from one lime and mix well.
6) Put the roasted hazelnuts into nut grinder and chop until you get hazelnuts pieces of various sizes. If you do not have a nut grinder put the hazelnuts into small plastic bad and hit them with a meat hammer until you have pieces of various sizes some small and some whole.
7) Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the broccoli side and serve.