I have a new favorite Sunday breakfast recipe. It is baked oatmeal with walnuts and berries. I love this recipe because it is easy to make, it is healthy and it makes the whole room smell of cinnamon and berries. In our house, baked oatmeal disappears in seconds and there are never any leftovers. I don’t add sugar, maple syrup or any other sweeteners but you could add a dash of honey if you like. It is really simple and quick to make. My kids love to help out: mixing, stirring, sprinkling and tasting as we go along. To give your breakfast an extra Omega-3 boost you can sprinkle freshly ground flax seeds on the oatmeal once it’s on your plate.
Baked oatmeal with walnuts and berries
(This makes 4 – 6 servings)
2 cups of rolled oats
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 1/2 cups of fat free milk
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup of blackberries
1 cup of walnuts pieces
(Total preparation time 20 minutes and total cook time 30 minutes)
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, the cinnamon and the baking powder.
3) In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg and mix it with milk.
4) Add a half of the dry oat mixture into a 9″ oven safe dish. Sprinkle with half of the blueberries, blackberries and walnut pieces.
5) Add the remainder of the dry oat mixture and sprinkle with the remaining berries and walnut pieces.
6) Pour in the whisked egg and milk and shake to settle the ingredients.
7) Add a little bit of melted coconut oil on top and put into the oven.
9) Bake for 30 -40 minutes until oats begin to bubble and look browned.
10) Take out and serve.