You have heard it many times before: eating wild caught salmon is healthier than eating farmed salmon. But why is this and does it justify the big price difference? In my opinion, it does and here is why. Continue reading
Here are some fun, healthy and sweet Valentine’s Day ideas for kids:
Heart fruit kebabs
These are so easy to make. All you need is fruit, a heart shaped cookie cutter and some kebab sticks. They make a nice change to the everyday fruit in a bowl.
Over the last few years new health stores and local farmer’s markets have been springing up everywhere and buying organic fruit and veg, in order to avoid synthetic pesticides, has become a huge trend. But what do you do if the only cucumber or pepper, which is available, has been conventionally grown? Do you buy it or do you leave it on the shelf? What do you do if buying everything organic is simply too expensive? Continue reading
If you want to know how to live to be 100+ then this is a TED talk for you. Dan Buettner gives an inspiring talk about 4 key geographical areas called blue zones in Loma Linda in USA, Nicoya in Costa Rica, Okinawa in Japan, and Sardinia in Italy. These 4 blue zone areas are particularly interesting because they have the highest proportions of centenarians and twin studies have estimated that only 20% – 30% of individual’s lifespan is related to genetics leaving a staggering 70% – 80% to the lifestyle. So a question arises: What do people in these geographical areas have in common and why is their life expectancy so much longer than that of other people? Continue reading
Most of us lead busy lives juggling work, family, friends and hobbies, not to mention trying to fit in some exercise. So it is no wonder that protein bars and shakes are so appealing to us. We reach out for them when we have no time for proper meals, as a snack or after exercise. The adverts tell us everything that we want to hear: the bars are low carbohydrates, they are all natural, with 20g of protein they will keep you full for long, some are even organic. What’s more they come in flavors that are hard to refuse. But is this all too good to be true? Could the bars be actually harming our health? Continue reading
January is the month for making resolutions and losing weight is often top of the list. Dieting and exercising go hand in hand but if taken to extremes can often backfire. If you want to lose weight in healthy way and keep it off, you need to be smart about what you eat and what exercise you do. Here are a few weight loss hacks that have really worked for me. Continue reading
The start of any new year goes hand in hand with making new resolutions. If there is one resolution that you make this year, pledge to eat a healthier diet. Not for me, but for your own health. You will be able to better fight diseases, see your own energy rise, have fewer cravings, you will be in better mood, it will be easier to control your weight and you will even have less wrinkles. Making a switch to eating healthy does not have to be difficult, just pick one of my ideas and incorporate it into your everyday life. It is that simple.
Here are my healthy eating ideas for 2014: Continue reading
Candy, cakes and chocolates are very popular during the holiday time. The shops and homes are full of them and even the strictest parents relax their rules. I want my kids to eat healthy but I don’t want them to miss out on the joys of holidays and the sweet taste that comes with it. Licking a cauliflower floret is not the same as licking a lollypop and the Christmas tree would not be the same without gingerbread men or peppermint sticks hanging from it. Continue reading
Here are some more ideas for you:
1) Williams-sonoma smart tools for iPad set
Holiday time is almost here so here are some healthy gift ideas for you:
Why is it on the list?
This is my favorite item and one that is definitely on my Santa list. Vitamix is a fast blender that can help you prepare anything from dips, smoothies, purees, nut butters, milks, soups and much more. It comes with a high price tag but it is worth the money as it really speeds up food preparation. Various nut butters are a must have in our household and I am really excited that we will finally be able to make our own.
Where can I buy it?