Thanksgiving lunch is all about traditions: roast turkey, glazed carrots, Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and the stuffing. But sometimes it is nice to break those traditions, and replace something old with something new. This healthy butternut squash and quinoa stuffing is a perfect addition to any table. It contains a lot of ingredients that are good for you like butternut squash, broccoli, kale and pomegranate. Once thanksgiving is over, you can eat this dish as a seasonal side to roast chicken, lamb or pork or on its own as a lunchtime salad.
Butternut squash and quinoa stuffing
(This makes 6-8 small servings)
1/2 butternut squash
2 tablespoons of ghee
1 tablespoon of dried thyme
1 cup of quinoa
1 cup of small broccoli florets
1 large pomegranate
2 cup of curly kale
2/3 cup of chopped walnuts
(Total preparation and cook time 1 hour)
1) Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
2) Chop the butternut squash into small 1 cm cubes and put in a medium bowl.
3) Melt 2 tablespoons of ghee in a microwave and mix it in with the butternut squash. Once all butternut squash is covered in ghee, transfer it to the pre prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with thyme, cover with foil and put in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the foil, and cook for extra 20 to 30 minutes until the edges start to brown.
4) In the meantime, cook the quinoa according to the instructions or until it is soft and looks glazed.
5) Prepare the broccoli by separating the florets from the stem and cutting them into small 1cm pieces. Put the broccoli florets into a 2-quart pan and pour in boiling water. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until broccoli is tender but still crunchy.
6) Cut the pomegranate in halves and with a spoon carefully take out the pomegranate seeds. Using fingers take out the remaining pulp, making sure you are only left with the juice and the pomegranate seeds.
7) Cut the curly kale into small 1cm pieces.
8) Take the butternut squash out of the oven and leave to cool slightly.
9) Combine all the ingredients and put into an oven safe dish. When you are ready to serve sprinkle extra pomegranate seeds on top and enjoy!